Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Portland

I assumed Portland would be full of young Hipsters....a quick digression: I just googled Hipsters so I could add a photo and found a blog about trying to determine if someone is a Hipster or Homeless. And ya know what? Lots of the people we saw in Portland fit that category. Oh that and Bikers. I don't mean leather vest wearing heavyset bearded men, I mean people on bikes. They are EVERYWHERE! And they think they can do whatever they want, like run over my five year old as she gazes at a sparkly river, so distracted by the sparkly wonder that she doesn't realize how close she is to being pancaked into the earth by a crazy Portland biking enthusiast. Anyway, one way streets, homeless looking young people walking their dogs wearing vests and crazy bikers made me decide that Portland is kinda fun to visit but not by myself...oh and maybe not at night.

We went to the Oregon Museum of Science and Invention or OMSI as the locals call it. Seriously, I told someone we went to the Oregon Museum of Science and Invention and they did blinky blinky eyes at me like I was special and then said, "You mean OMSI?" Anywho, we had lots of fun putting weird puzzles together, watching a IMAX movie about Tornadoes and learning about the body.

We also spotted the Portland Temple from the freeway and decided to go take pictures. We got very lost. But we did eventually get our pictures!

Before we could leave Portland I told Larry we had to go to Powell's Books which is this insanely huge book store that covers a whole city block. It was amazing, iy was cheap and I will go back to Portland just to see this store again.
Larry and Kailah's creation
Melanie jumping a bajillion times on an electronic jump rope
Kailah proving that she is super good at balancing
Larry proving that he is really NOT good at balancing
In the market
Melanie's turn to be the cashier
Larry, the girls, a bridge and some sparkly water
Me and the girls
Kailah and I at the Portland Temple

Using cool magnet blocks at OMSI









No comments:

Post a Comment